San Juan Community Theatre’s (SJCT) mission is Enriching Community Through Performing Arts and we desire to include and reflect the diverse people of our island and world. SJCT acknowledges structural and systemic barriers that prevent full participation from many people in the United States and works actively to listen, learn, and address inequities in our organization and community.
SJCT seeks to be a place where people are actively included across race, gender, age, ability and disability, nationality, creed, class, and sexuality.
Structural and systemic barriers to full participation by diverse people exist in our community, our world, and our organization. SJCT works actively to remove these barriers and train staff, board, volunteers, and patrons to recognize and address inequities within our sphere of influence. Among other methods, we pursue equity by cultivating an anti-racism understanding that acknowledges and addresses barriers in the United States for People of Color.
2022-23 Season Questions
SJCT seeks to listen specifically, asking questions that evolve our understanding over time. Some of the questions we are grappling with for the 2022-23 Season are:
- Does SJCT look like the island in its productions, education, co-productions, audience, casts and crews, volunteers, staff, and board?
- Who and what is SJCT a place for? Who and what is it not a place for?
- What is our relationship with the island’s history and indigenous peoples?
2022-23 Season Action Plan
- Utilizing the questions above to frame the action plan for 2023-24
- Providing regular EDI learning opportunities for board, staff, and lead volunteers that include social location and anti-bias terminology training
- The creation of a reporting and escalation path for conflict resolution
- Adjusting internal and external documents to remove gender-biased language